Wednesday, June 17, 2009

French Pot Roast

Thanks to my friend Iris for this recipe - I can't wait to try it.

1 (2-3) pound boneless beef chuck pot roast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon cooking oil

4 medium carrots peeled and cut crosswise into 3 inch pieces. ( I used whole fresh baby carrots I didn't count I just tried to use as many that would be equal to 4 regular sized carrots.)

3 medium potatoes unpeeled cut into quarters

2 medium or 1 large onion cut into wedges

2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca

1 cup bottled French salad dressing

1/2 cup beef broth

1 clove garlic minced


Trim some of the fat from beef; ( It was my choice to leave some fat on, to insure tenderness and flavor.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large skillet.


Place carrots, potatoes, and onions in a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with tapioca. Place roast on vegetables. Combine salad dressing, broth, and garlic; pour over roast and vegetables.


Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

( I cooked on high for first 90 minutes then set to low. Roast was done in 7 hours.)


Transfer beef and vegetables to a large serving platter. Serve beef and vegetables with the cooking liquid.

Makes approximately 8 servings.

Source; Slow Cooker Favorites a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication

http://missmamievioletskitchen.blogspot.com/

This was really good. Had excellent flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paulissa,

    We loved this recipe. I took the left over roast and made pot roast soup. I threw in carrots celery onion corn, green beans, canned diced tomatoes, a can of vegetable broth, chili powder, salt and pepper a little more of the french dressing. No measurements on this one just some of this and some of that. I also threw in the gravy from the roast.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete