45 min | 15 min prep
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beat
- 3 ounces chocolate squares
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Prepare cake layers; heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans.
- In large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, 2/3 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla, baking powder, and flour about 4 minutes until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans; bake 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean.
- Remove layers to wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare egg custard: In 2 qt saucepan, stir 2/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt until thoroughly mixed; slowly stir in 2 1/2 cups milk until smooth.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute until mixture boils rapidly and thickens.
- Remove from heat; very slowly pour lightly beaten egg yolks into hot mixture, stirring rapidly and constantly to blend and keep smooth.
- Return mixture to low heat; cook 1 minute longer.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1 tbsp vanilla.
- Cool completely, stirring frequently.
- Prepare chocolate glaze: In small heavy saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and 1 tbsp butter, stirring frequently until blended and smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup milk until blended and smooth.
- Keep warm, covered.
- To assemble: Using sharp serrated knife, carefully cut cooled layers in half horizontally.
- Place one layer, cut side up, on serving platter; spread with 1/3 cooled custard.
- Repeat with remaining cake layers and custard, ending with cake layer, cut side down.
- Spoon warm glaze over top of cake,letting mixture drip down sides.