Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rules of Deep Freezer Organization

Courtesy Charlotte W:

Rule 1.
Everything must be labeled (what cut, what type) and dated. (i used masking tape back in the day, then freezer bags came out with the writing spot, then i went to vacuum bags and freezer tape and permanent marker).

Rule 2.
Make sure not to skimp on freezer storage material. Use good quality bags or paper or containers. If air can get in it will get freezer burn.

Rule 3.
Rotate, Rotate and Rotate....when you add to the hamburger section of your freezer make sure to put the new stock in the back/bottom and the older stuff at the top/front. If you don't do this you will never get to the bottom (the older stuff) and you take a chance of wasting food.

Rule 4.
Create a list of all items in the freezer no matter how small. I took a clear 3 ring binder paper protector and taped it to my freezer door (I had an upright and a chest). Then each time you add to or take out of the freezer take your list out of the sleeve and write it down. When you write it down on the sheet make sure to put all the information that you put on the package itself, (Everything must be labeled (what cut, what type) and dated). If you are using boxes or crates to separate foods, then that crate number or color should be on the list with the item also...making locating the item you want that much easier.

Rule 5.
Keep like things together as much as possible. In my chest freezer I used milk crates to keep things separated...they stacked nicely and did not waste that much space ... compared to the time they saved me in not having to hunt the entire freezer for one thing. I could get 16 crates I believe it was in my chest freezer. if you are using a upright freezer, I used Rubbermaid containers on shelf's to separate some of the smaller packages, (lunch meat, cheese, hot dogs, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment