My mother in law made this to help use up some whole berry cranberry sauce. If you choose that option, use 1 cup of whole berry sauce, drained.
Apple Cranberry Yogurt Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cup Dannon® Plain Yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 medium apples, cored and chopped into rough 1/2" pieces
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan or a 10-inch iron skillet, and dust with flour.
- 2. In a small saucepan, simmer the cranberries and sugar and water over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries just begin to pop, about 5 minutes. Remove the cranberries with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- 3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla, and stir to combine. Into another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the apple pieces and toss to coat. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the yogurt and then gently add cranberries, stirring into the batter without breaking them apart.
- 4. Pour the batter into the pan or skillet and bake for 45 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center come out clean. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.