It simply wouldn't be Christmas without these melt-in-your-mouth cookies on my platter! They have a lovely eggnog flavor and look great with their crunchy tops. The aroma while they bake is as delectable as their taste.
39 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and 1-1/2 cups sugar until light
- and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, cream of
- tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the nutmeg and remaining sugar. Roll dough
- into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until
- lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 115 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
SOURCE: Taste of Home