Friday, October 29, 2010

Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast 6 hours

This recipe makes one of the best gravies I've ever tasted!

Ingredients

  • 1 (3 pound) boneless beef sirloin tip roast, cut in half
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 large tart apple, quartered
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce

Directions

  1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Top with apple and onion. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender.
  2. Remove roast and onion; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan, discarding apple. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in browning sauce. Stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over beef and onion.

Footnotes


Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3 ounces cooked beef with 3 tablespoons gravy) equals 173 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.

2 comments:

  1. I love pot roast, but I am always concerned with what foods I consume. I would suggest trying a Grassfed Pot Roast . I work with La Cense Beef and right now they are having a holiday sale. Grass fed beef is higher in omega 3 and higher in beta-carotene which can be helpful in reducing the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only buy pot roast that are grass fed because they are low in fat. I personally have had a diet of grass fed meats that give me the lean protein I need in my diet along with the necessary omega-3 fatty acids that helped with a healthy weight loss program. If you are looking to buy pot roast with fabulous pot roast recipes I would recommend checking out the options at LaCense Beef as well. They have some great dishes that that include tasty and juicy recipes. I have enjoyed every dish I have tried. Though I now work for them, they honestly offer some really delicious ideas, as well as some truly tasty grass fed beef that you can order. These pot roasts make a great holiday gift.You can get really great deals during the holidays. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete