Yield: 6 servings
Source: "The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan"
- 3 cups diced roasted chicken or turkey
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups peeled chopped Granny Smith apples (about 2-1/2 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
(or plain, unsweetened dried cranberries)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or toasted pecans
- 1 cup nonfat or light mayonnaise
Place the chicken or turkey, wild rice, apples, celery,
cranberries, and nuts in a large bowl and toss to mix well.
Add the mayonnaise and toss to mix well, adding a little
more mayonnaise if the mixture seems too dry. Cover the
salad and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serve over a bed of fresh salad greens or mound each
serving into the center of a cantaloupe half if desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (per 1-1/2 cup serving):
Calories: 286, Carbohydrate: 24 g, Cholesterol: 60 mg,
Fat: 8.8 g, Saturated Fat: 1.1 g, Fiber: 2.8 g,
Protein: 27 g, Sodium: 351 mg, Calcium: 29 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Starch, 1 Fruit, 1 Fat