SPINACH AND TORTELLINI SOUP
Yield: 6 servings (about 1 cup each)
Source: "1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes"
Book Info: http://diabeticgourmet.com/book_archive/details/22.shtml
Print version: http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/488.shtml
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions and tops
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh low-fat tomato and cheese tortellini
- 3 cups torn spinach leaves
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Spray bottom of large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over
medium heat until hot. Saute carrots, green onions, garlic,
and basil until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken broth and water to saucepan; heat to boiling.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Heat broth mixture to boiling; stir in tortellini and spinach.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tortellini are al
dente, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, nutmeg and pepper.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (about 1 cup each):
Calories: 170, Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 1.6 g,
Cholesterol: 17.7 g, Sodium: 177, Protein: 8.6 g,
Carbohydrate: 26.9 g
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Bread, 1/2 Fat