Friday, August 13, 2010

Michelle Jones Granny's Gingersnap Cookies

Ginger Snaps
Courtesy of CookieClubRecipes.com

1 level cup of sugar
1 cup of molasses
1 cup of lard or drippings (Yikes, I used Crisco!)
1 cup of hot water
1 heaping teaspoonful of soda
Salt
1 cup of chopped raisins (I did not use, because my kids prefer cookies
without, though I prefer with--and I'm sure they would have been great!)
Ginger and cinnamon to taste (I used 1 tsp. each.)
3 3/4 or 3 1/2 cups flour to make soft (I used 3 1/2 c., and these cookies
are VERY soft.)

The cookbook directions read...

"Stir well and set aside to cool. Drop with a teaspoon into buttered tins. -
Helen Farr, 1917, New Jersey"

If you need a little help on that, I mixed the wet ingredients together and
then the dry and then combined. The hot water was a little tricky since I
wasn't using raisins, normally I would soak the raisins in the hot water and
it would be easier to add. The finished cookie will be much different
depending on if you use them or not, but even without them, oh my goodness,
yummy, yummy!!! As for the baking, I dropped the dough on ungreased baking
sheets, at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Then cooled for a minute
before moving to racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment