This quick soup has such a great flavor that everyone I've shared it with has added the recipe to her list of favorites. It also simmers up well in a slow cooker.
TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions:Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large soup kettle, cook the turkey, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Drain pasta and add to the soup. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
- One serving:
- 1-1/3 cups
- 4 g
- Saturated Fat:
- 1 g
- 36 mg
- 868 mg
- 28 g
- 6 g
- 15 g
- Diabetic Exchange:
- 2 very lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.