Uses for Juices in the Kitchen
by Michelle Croyle
Put the juice from canned fruit to good use
If you've ever served fruit from a can, you have no doubt
noticed the need to drain off the juice that surrounds it.
Many simply pour canned fruit syrup down the drain and never
think twice, but the next time you reach for some canned
peaches, pears, pineapple, mandarin oranges, or fruit
cocktail, you might want to try one of the following instead:
- Pour the fruit juice into ice cube trays and freeze. Use the
cubes to flavor a cool glass of ice water.
- Freeze the juice in paper cups and give to kids as a slushy
treat or insert plastic spoons to make them into frozen
treats. Mixing various juices can enhance your options!
- Use the juice in place of water to flavor a white cake mix.
Or mix it with powdered sugar, and use it as a glaze over the
- Drain the syrup into a cup and drink it as you would any
other fruit juice. Kids love this!
- Use it instead of water when you make gelatin.
- Add it to a pitcher of lemonade for a fruitier version of
this summertime favorite.