Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cup(s) packed brown sugar
- 5 large ripe bananas, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 (12-ounce) long loaf French or Italian bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cup(s) milk
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced almonds or coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
- In microwave-safe small bowl, heat butter in microwave oven on High 1 minute or until melted. Stir sugar into butter until moistened. With fingertips, press sugar mixture onto bottom of 13-inch by 9-inch glass baking dish. (It's okay if mixture does not cover bottom.) Spread fresh or dried fruit over sugar mixture; top with bread slices, cut sides down.
- In medium bowl, with whisk, beat eggs; whisk in milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Slowly pour milk mixture over bread; press bread down to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes or until bread is golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Calories 570 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 191mg Sodium 465mg Total Carbohydrate 89g Dietary Fiber 5g Sugars -- Protein 13g Calcium