1 (6 oz.) package of dried apricots,
cut into small pieces
2 cups water
2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
3-1/2 cups sifted whole grain flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
2. Cook apricots in water in a covered medium-size saucepan for 10-
15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Drain; reserve 3/4 cup
liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
3. Cream together margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in egg and
4. Sift together flour, dry milk, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add
to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and
5. Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
6. Pour batter into prepared pans.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bread springs back when lightly
touched in center.
8. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and completely cool on
wire rack before slicing.
NUTRITION INFO (per ½ slice)
Fat: 4.4 g
Carbohydrates: 14.2 g
Protein: 1.9 g