Basic Homemade Vegetable Broth
2 whole carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly sliced
2-4 whole peeled cloves of garlic
1/2 of a large green pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
10 mushrooms (any type will work!), rinsed
4-5 small red potatoes, quartered
*** Any vegetables will really work for this broth, use what you have on hand!***
1-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
Salt-free seasonings such as Mrs. Dash
Salt & Pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon summer savory
1 teaspoon rosemary
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1. Coarsely chop all vegetables and add to a large stock pot. Also add any optional seasonings that you desire.
2. Add 10-12 cups of water to the stock pot.
3. Bring stock to a rolling boil and then turn heat down to just simmering.
4. Simmer over low heat for 2-4 hours.
5. Taste the stock as it cooks to adjust seasonings until you get the flavor that you desire.
6. Once stock has cooked, let it cool for several hours on the stove top.
7. When cool, strain stock through a very fine sieve to remove all vegetables. You will be left with a very fine tan - brown stock that is absolutely delicious.
8. Some people choose to puree the vegetables that were used in the stock and add then add them back to broth for a creamier texture. You can do this if you choose too. If you want a clear stock, simply use the discarded vegetables for another dish, or add them to your compost.
9. Store cooled broth in glass jars or airtight containers in the refrigerator or the freezer. Will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator and for 6 months in the freezer.