Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Servings: 24 rolls
- Total Fat (g)3
- Saturated Fat (g)1
- Cholesterol (mg)6
- Sodium (mg)127
- Carbohydrate (g)19
- Fiber (g)1
- Protein (g)3
- Starch (d.e.)1
- Fat (d.e.).5
|2-3/4||to 3-1/4 cupsall-purpose flour|
|1||packageactive dry yeast|
|1/4||cupbutter, margarine, or shortening|
|1/2||cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs|
|1-1/4||cups whole wheat flour|
|2/3||cup snipped dried cranberries|
|1/3||cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and finely chopped|
|2||teaspoons finely shredded orange peel|
1. In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups of the all-purpose flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, butter, sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture and egg to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour, cranberries, nuts, orange peel, and as much of the remaining all-purpose flour as you can.
2. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
3. Punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups.
4. Divide each portion of the dough into 36 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, pulling edges underneath to make a smooth top. Place 3 of the balls into each prepared muffin cup, smooth sides up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes). Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from muffin cups. Cool on wire racks. Makes 24 rolls.
Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare as directed though step 2, except do not let rise. Cover with greased plastic wrap and chill overnight or up to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Continue as directed in steps 3 through 5 (the rising time in step 4 may need to be increased by 10 to 15 minutes).