Tastes Like Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 Tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth or 4 cups
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups radiadori or radiatore pasta, uncooked ( or any other shaped pasta will do) (I use gluten free)
- heaping 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- garlic croutons, optional
In a large Dutch oven, combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.
Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions in a separate pan. Drain.
Add cooked pasta to soup and stir in Parmesan cheese.
Top each bowl of soup with shredded mozzarella soup and croutons, if desired.