This holiday-appropriate side dish recipe is a crowd-pleaser, proving that everything is better with crisp peppered bacon and thick whipping cream. For a green bean side dish, substitute 2 pounds of green beans for the Brussels sprouts, and reduce the baking time to 15 to 18 minutes.
Top ideas for dinner tonight:
- 4 slices peppered bacon
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved through stem end
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- Cracked Black Pepper
- In 12-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- In skillet add Brussels sprouts to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat 4 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add cream. Cook 4 minutes more or until thickened.
- Transfer sprouts to serving dish. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cracked pepper. Serves 8.